Sunday, March 15, 2009

Anna's Baptism

I was baptized when I was merely weeks old, brought up in the church, an avid member of youth group and Young Life and have always had a relationship with God. But like any human being in a relationship, my dedication and commitment to that relationship has always been present, but at varying degrees. Although I talk to God often, calling on him for strength in trying times, asking for mercy in times of sin, and thanking him daily for the enormous blessing that is my life, it is not often that I feel him. In fact, it wasn't until today that I decided that's what that feeling was. Before today, it had only happened twice in my entire life, that feeling of something tangible on my skin that seemed to indelibly etch itself into my memory in a way that an image, sound, taste, or smell could never do. Those two times were the same feeling: of a tiny, wet, squirming body laid onto my chest, still warm with the heat of being within me. I can still feel both Charlie and Anna in my arms and on my chest and can remember the way their warm wet skin felt on my hands like no time has passed at all.
Today, God unexpectedly blessed me with that feeling once more. As we stood before the congregation of the church and the minister sprinkled the water onto Anna's head, baptizing her in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, she smiled and reached for the glistening bowl of water. She then bounced happily on the minister's hip as he walked her up and down the aisle that her brother and I both traveled on the day of our baptisms, and the aisle that her grandmother and grandfather, and father and I walked on the day of our weddings. As beautiful and sentimental as all this was to me, it isn't what touched the depths of my heart. After showing Anna to the congregation, the minister returned her to my arms as we stood at the head of the church and said a prayer. Just as the minister began his prayer for Anna she reached across my chest and laid her head onto my shoulder, pressing her head, still wet with the Baptism water, against my cheek. Feeling that warm, wet sensation against my skin, with the knowledge of what it symbolized for my daughter, touched me once again in a way only the birth of a child can. For me, it can be described only as Divine. Through my two precious angels, Charlie and Anna, I have truly been touched by the hand of God.

Here are more than a few photos from our memorable day:
Getting ready:

1. Clean diaper


2. Socks.


3. A kiss from Daddy for luck.


4. The slip.


5. The dress.


6. Buttons.


7. Bonnet.
8. Done!
The handsome brother!

3 comments:

  1. Oh E, what an amazing post. Thank you sooo much for sharing that! I wish more than anything we could have all been there! You and Anna looK beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got chills... so glad you are back to blogging! love you!

    ReplyDelete